Saturday, 2 May 2015

A review of Better Left Buried, by Emma Haughton

I was supposed to finish a draft of my own YA novel before I read Better Left Buried, but I made the mistake of dipping inside and reading the prologue… A few hours later, I emerged, emotionally drained, and yet completely satisfied by this wonderfully gripping novel.

Sarah’s brother has died, her mum’s not coping and her dad’s working away from home. Even her best friend, Lizzie, seems a little remote. Sarah struggles to manage her grief alone, while caring for her mum and preparing for an important singing audition which could decide her future. We have every reason to feel for Sophie, an ordinary girl, in the middle of a family tragedy.

But right from page one we know this goes beyond ordinary and tragic. Danger lies ahead and yet, like Sarah, we’re not exactly sure where, why, or who to trust. There’s a mystery to be solved, and we’re with Sophie all the way, trying to make sense of strange happenings. She is followed by a stranger, her home is trashed, she is attacked in the street… and then she discovers that it’s all connected to her dead brother. He started something...and she has to finish it.

Sophie’s thoughts and feelings are entirely believable and her actions, although incredibly risky, flow naturally out of this very sinister plot.

I loved this book! And even though I was lucky enough to beta read Better Left Buried some time ago (and supposedly knew what was in store) there were still surprises. I was still on the edge of my seat. It’s a great read – for teens and adults – packed, from start to finish, with excitement, intrigue and tension. 

If you like thrillers, you’ll love this. Highly recommended. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.