Saturday, 10 August 2013

INSTANT STORY

Awww...
I was out walking the dogs, when I met a woman who had a spaniel. Cute thing. Really naughty, but lovely. And she told me a story. It was something real that had happened to her family - and involved the spaniel. It was the loveliest story, or should I say it had the loveliest outcome. From a totally sad and messed up beginning, it had its own little arc; a beginning, middle, dramatic climax, and a really satisfying ending.

And I knew at the time, it was a gift. A kind of instant story - just add characters and leave to set.

I’m not going to tell you the story - at least, not yet - because, I did what any self respecting writer would do; I wrapped that story up in a golden blanket and tucked it safely into some darkened recess of my right brain.

Several weeks have passed - it might even be months - and all the while that story has been evolving, growing, maturing. I’ve met more dog walkers and more dogs, some of whom have helped to feed my little golden bundle with scraps of their own life events. And I’ve spent lots of spare hours reading and researching, making sure I’ve got my facts straight. And each day, my excitement about this story is a little bit more than the last.

But this week, I could resist no longer. The time had come to make a plan, write my first words, and be woken in the night by its cries. I am in love.  

And whilst this is definitely not going to be just a regurgitation of the spaniel woman’s story, and whilst I know there is still much work ahead of me, I wouldn’t be writing it without her timely intervention in my life. 

Where do you get your inspiration?   

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this new story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to write it! You know that feeling, when you're just impatient to get up and get writing? Well that. XXX

      Delete
  2. Inspiration can come from anything, anyone, anywhere. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vashti, Yes I agree. That's one of the things I love about being a writer - that everything has the potential to be turned into a story. Thanks for commenting :) X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, I just love that feeling of 'can't wait to get writing' something, where the passion to write becomes all-consuming. Definitely better than staring at the screen twiddling with words, phrases, sentences - trying to pull something together, waiting for inspiration to light the way.
    Can't wait to read it. Best wishes, Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois - this is a timely comment... spent a large part of today staring at the screen and twiddling with words etc. It seems that even the most inspirational moments do not fill in all the blanks! But I'll get there... XXX

      Delete
  5. Lovely - all the best with it, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.