Tuesday, 23 April 2013

You can take the teacher out of teaching, but you can’t take teaching out of the teacher…

Ahhh, the good old days.
Not.
I left teaching X years ago. Really? That long?

I still miss it. I miss the children mostly, and next I miss the whole creative challenge of finding a way to make learning interesting, and fun! I don’t miss the meetings, the marking, the orders from above about HOW and WHY and WHEN you teach something… No, seriously, don’t get me started on that one, Mr Gove.

And I love being a writer and a publisher and all that entails.

But one day, a few weeks ago, I got to thinking about how MY BOOKS might be used if I were still teaching. And the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. It became kind of a personal challenge to see if I could write a scheme of work around my writing. Whilst I don’t claim to be William Shakespeare or Morris Gleitzman, I thought my books (and especially BRING ME SUNSHINE) might provide the right ingredients for lessons which are both interesting and fun.

So that’s what I did.

I wrote a teacher resources pack for Key Stage 2, based on the PSHE curriculum, and I wrote another one for Key Stage 3, based on the English curriculum.

You can download either from my website - here - for FREE!

The KS2 pack includes information, discussions, games, drama, writing and drawing activities relating to the issue of young carers. It is aimed at children in year 6.

The KS3 pack includes a variety of activities based on BRING ME SUNSHINE and extension activities which can be used in any KS3 English lesson. I had some help from friend and fellow writer KateHanney with the KS3 pack, because my natural home is the primary school; Kate is a secondary English teacher.

If you do look at my free resources packs, please let me know what you think. I had fun creating them, and I’d be really interested to know how they are received by those people in education who matter most; the children.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy
    This is a fabulous resource and a brillIant marketing idea.
    As much for teachers as for other writers looking for ways to market their books - a great model.
    Thank you
    Are you school visiting with bring me sunshine yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, Thanks for the positive feedback. I haven't done any school visits yet, although I would love to. I need to get my head around the hows, whos, and whens, and just get on with it don't I?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting.