Sunday, 15 April 2012

#Lucky 7


Nan Bonnington knew
how to make the most
of a Walnut Whip

As a break from my usual bloggery, this week Nan Bonnington has 'kindly' tagged me in Lucky Seven; a chain of blogs with extracts from our works in progress.

These are the rules:
1. Go to page 7 or 77 in current manuscript
2. Then to line 7
3. Post on blog the next 7 lines, or sentences, as they are – no cheating
4. Finally, tag 7 other authors to do the same
Can't help think there should be another 3 rules here. EG...
5. Reward yourself with some chocolate
6. Take a shower
7. Tidy the house etc

Anyway, here they are; my unedited, totally original and completely brilliant seven lines. It's a story about the complexity and joys of family life, as told through the eyes of an unhappy child.

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; it was the day my grandmother exploded. My brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow and Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs Shears' house and Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. And if you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like."

What do you think? Am I onto something here?

Ye Olde Plagiarism Dance 

So now, according to the rules I must tag seven other bloggers. They are:
Catrina Peanutt
Hilary Fieldmouse
Evelyn Day
Agnes Elphant
Tanya Manners
Elvis Ramsbotham
Rex Meme

Normal Business will be resumed next week. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that my walnut whip smearing has, at last been recognised by you and the Olympic Committee as an Olympic sport. (Thank you Lord Coe)

    I love your labels Wendy and I didn't spot you in the old plagiarism dance, unless you are the one with the pig's bladder just out of shot.

    I think you are onto something. Personally I love first person narrative, gets you right in there obvs and is great device as a child is always viewed as an untrustworthy narrator,or nearer the truth everyone is untrustworthy but the child. Really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am regrettably always the one left holding the pig's bladder.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting.