Thursday, 5 January 2012

Of Chaos and Dancing Stars


“One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

I am interested in the creative process.

I am interested because it’s in my nature to be organised and plan; I am the Queen of lists, a person who keeps her clock ten minutes fast, and a walking diary of other peoples’ appointments. And yet, when I’m writing a book something else takes over - an inability to stick to plans, word limits or goals; I simply lose control.

The only certain pattern to have emerged over time, is that there are days which feel like ‘work’ and there are days when I can’t wait to get out of bed and live in my story world. On really good days, something pours out of me and onto the page which is so inspired and ‘right’ it feels almost like divine intervention! And then on other days, everything is DOOMED; I know the inspiration which filled me the week/the day/the hour before was probably just a fluke.

There’s a kind of circular thing going on; work, flow, inspiration, low, work, flow, inspiration, low… and so on. It happens on a small scale, chapter by chapter, and on a larger (whole-book) scale too. I work, I feel good, I feel amazing, and then I read it back and think ‘this is rubbish’! It’s chaotic and crazy and not for the feint-hearted.

In an attempt to tame this chaos, and bring the whole creative process back under my control, I did a little research. I googled Models of the Creative Process. There are quite a few! Clearly I’m not the only one who wants to make sense of this madness.

But it’s one of the earliest models, from Graham Wallas in 1926, which resonated most with me. He suggested four phases of creative thinking.

Preparation - Incubation - Illumination - Verification

  1. Preparation - This is the first phase which feels most like work. It’s relatively mundane and it’s all about the planning, the research, the reading, or revising earlier drafts. It can be enjoyable, but it can be tedious too.
  2. Incubation - This is the bit you don’t often realise you’re doing, because your subconscious mind is working on the idea, making new connections, separating unnecessary ideas, and grabbing for other ideas even when you’re asleep. You need time and space to do this. It’s unquantifiable and intangible and can be terribly frustrating. But, from these dark depths springs…
  3. Illumination. Suddenly something makes sense! Everything (something) falls into place; you find the perfect word; a character makes you laugh or cry; a plot line ties in with another. Whatever it is, it’s so intensely satisfying that you want nothing more than to get on with the process and find out how it all ends.
  4. Verification is the moment you stand back and see if it all hangs together. In early drafts this might be the low - when you realise that it doesn’t work and you have to change something. It’s time to evaluate.

And it’s circular.

Nine years after writing and rewriting and going through the work-flow-inspiration-low cycle countless times, my first novel and another muchly redrafted effort, are now sitting on a publisher’s desk, awaiting their verdict. I could never have written these books without repeating the creative process time and time again, on many different levels.

It’s a process which begins with work and ends with work, and somewhere in the middle is all that brooding and chaos. I finally accept that I can’t plan steps 2&3, because who knows what’s bubbling under the surface and what inspiration is going to pop out? But understanding the process helps me let go of the need to control it. 

And one day, maybe soon, that nice publisher will give me the verification that I have indeed given birth to a dancing star.



6 comments:

  1. Lovely. Just lovely. Giving birth to a dancing star. That's a great way describing the nice bits of the creative process. I hope the publisher falls in love with your work SOON and offers you that deal. It's such an emotional rollercoaster, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff and rings lots of bells! As you know I'm doing a Design and Embroidery course and the same applies to the creative process I go through to design and eventually produce the pieces of work. Frustrating, confusing, ever-changing but hopefully worth it in the end!
    Got everything crossed for your book xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicky - yes, absolutely. I see the same process happening in musicians, actors, artists... must be universal. Fascinating! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote, Wendy, and I really must give in to that chaos. It is the order within me that battles with the chaos - and wins. Thus I sit at a tidy desk before a blank screen. Giving in to chaos is my New Year's resolution. Bring on that illumunation ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That describes exactly the way all my creative adventures have been happening right now. Great blog post..off to retweet!

    Love the bloggy design btw..it's fantastically! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Star dancing though chaos is brilliant. The dance is the story. In my muddle of ideas i'm trying to believe there's a dance too.
    Thanks Wendy :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.